Notas de Prensa de IBEROSTAR Hoteles & Resorts
GRUPO Iberostar TURNOVER REACHES 1.847 BILLION EUROS IN 2015
GRUPO Iberostar ended 2015 with a turnover of 1.847 billion euros, a 29% increase over the previous year’s figure. These results are a new boost for the Group’s growth trend, consolidating its leading role at the forefront of the international tourism industry and strengthening the positive outlook for 2016, which is set to be a key year for the company.
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, the Group’s hotel division, characterised by a business philosophy based on customer commitment and outstanding service, has evolved positively both in EMEA and America. In 2015 the Group’s Spanish destinations outgrew other Mediterranean destinations. The Balearic Islands, Andalusia and the Canary Islands reported an excellent year in terms of occupancy and RevPAR, outstripping the rest of the region thanks to the consolidation of the Spanish market and the upward trajectory of traditional outbound markets such as Germany and the UK.
Both the US and Canadian outbound markets showed significant growth, whilst the European markets remained stable in comparison with the previous year. Growth from Latin American markets remains healthy in the Group’s Mexican, Brazilian and Caribbean hotels.
In addition, 2015 saw the launch of the chain’s ambitious investment programme with a twofold objective: the renovation and updating of several of its hotels in order to bring them in line with guests’ changing needs and the company’s quality standards, and the opening of new hotels in different destinations such as Madrid or Majorca.
As part of its profit reinvestment policy, in 2015 the company assigned over 100 million euros to the renovation of several of its portfolio hotels in Spain, Tunisia, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
GRUPO Iberostar has opted to follow a solid diversification policy for its business portfolio within the international tourism sector. As part of this strategy, GRUPO Iberostar owns a majority stake in Almundo.com, Argentina’s largest travel retail network, boasting 20 years’ experience and an excellent position in both the Mexican and Colombian markets. Today, Almundo.com is the largest network of physical travel agencies in Argentina with a total of 45 points of sale, and the second largest online. Its online presence currently extends to 18 Latin American markets and there are plans to convert it into the region’s leading multichannel travel agency.
Along these same lines, in late 2015 GRUPO Iberostar also acquired NT Incoming, a company with 12 offices in Spain providing services for several of Europe’s leading tour operators. This operation also included the acquisition of New Travelers, a Spanish tour operator specialising in the sale of package tours to the United Arab Emirates, Thailand, Vietnam, the USA and Russia.
EXPANSION PLANS AND PROJECTS FOR 2016
2016 will be a special year for GRUPO Iberostar as its hotel division, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the opening of its first hotels on the island of Majorca in 1986. Over the years, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts has enjoyed sustained growth and today it has a portfolio of over a hundred 4 and 5 star hotels and more than 33,000 rooms in 17 countries around the world.
In this sense, the hotel chain’s anniversary celebrations will coincide with further progress in its solid expansion policy and the addition of six new hotels to the brand’s portfolio:
• Iberostar Playa Pilar, Cayo Guillermo, Cuba. This newly-opened 5 star hotel in Guillermo Key offers 482 rooms and a full range of services in keeping with the company’s Premium Gold category.
• Iberostar Costa del Sol, Estepona, Marbella. Situated between Marbella and Estepona, just 10 kilometres from Puerto Banus, this hotel is scheduled to open in March 2016. The facilities include 265 rooms, an 800 m2 Wellness & Spa centre and a wide range of leisure and entertainment options, making this the perfect choice for a fabulous family holiday.
• Iberostar Santa Eulalia, Ibiza. Iberostar’s first hotel on this Balearic Island will be opening in spring. Situated in S’Argamassa, this 4 star Adults Only hotel is just 18 km from the city centre.
• Iberostar Grand Portals Nous, Majorca. This new 5 star hotel, Majorca’s first in The Grand Collection, boasts a total of 63 rooms. Located in Portals Nous and set to open in July 2016, it features a number of bespoke suites designed especially by Marcel Wanders and the most exclusive services, guaranteeing its future position at the forefront of Majorca’s luxury sector.
• Iberostar Berkeley Shore, South Beach, Miami. This will be Iberostar’s first hotel in the USA. Situated in South Beach, one of Miami’s most charming areas, it will offer 96 rooms in an exclusive Art Deco style building. The opening is set for autumn 2016.
• Iberostar Bellavista, Varadero, Cuba. This five star hotel is located in Varadero, overlooking one of the world’s finest beaches. Its 827 rooms, extensive landscaped grounds, four swimming pools and wide range of entertainment options make it one of the area’s top holiday hotels.
As part of its commitment to quality and outstanding customer service, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts will be reinvesting part of its profits in the renovation and upgrading of its hotels, bringing them in line with guests’ changing needs and the company’s quality standards. This investment, which will exceed 90 million euros in 2016, will be channelled into the following projects:
• Iberostar Playa de Palma, Majorca, Spain. Once the renovation work is complete, this hotel, situated in Playa de Palma, will be reopening as the chain’s new 5 star establishment on the island. The project includes the complete renovation of its facilities and the renewal of the pool area, which will feature a new sun terrace and bar.
• Iberostar Andalucía Playa, Cadiz, Spain. Following renovation, this hotel overlooking La Barrosa beach will be upgraded to 5 star category. The work will include the refurbishment of its 274 rooms and a series of new features in the communal areas including a new pool area with a sun terrace and Bali beds.
• Iberostar Royal Andalus, Cadiz, Spain. This hotel will be upgrading its rooms and extending the water park to include a new Splash Pad.
• Iberostar Lanzarote Park, Lanzarote, Spain. Renovation work at this hotel includes the complete refurbishment of all its rooms and the creation of two differentiated areas. On the one hand, a new specific ‘Adults Only’ area, and another created especially for guests staying with their families, which will also include a children’s water park. Once the work is complete, the hotel will be upgraded to 4 star status.
• Iberostar Playa Gaviotas Park. The renovation of this hotel in 2016 covers 67 rooms, as well as extension work on the Star Camp and water park.
• Iberostar Bouganville and Iberostar Las Dalias, Costa Adeje, Tenerife, Spain. These two hotels, situated on Costa Adeje in southern Tenerife, are currently undergoing extensive renovation work, affecting both the rooms and communal areas. New restaurant and leisure facilities will be created, bringing these hotels up to the chain’s strict quality standards.
• Iberostar Anthelia. Starting April 2016, this hotel will be renovating two of its room blocks.
• Iberostar Cancún, Cancun, Mexico. This project includes the addition of a new block of 156 rooms to the hotel’s current facilities, as well as a new reception area, swimming pool, sun terrace and pool bar.
• Iberostar Tucán-Quetzal, Playa del Carmen, Mexico. This project covers the complete renovation of more than 10.000 m2 and includes the creation of two new lobbies, two à la carte and two buffet-style restaurants, as well as a new theatre.
This year Iberostar will also be focusing on product and service innovation as part of its commitment to improving its guests’ experience. Attention will be centred on three of the company’s key areas: gastronomy, strengthening the culinary offer at all its hotels; entertainment, revamping leisure activities for adults and children; and wellness, with its continued commitment to offering guests a healthy lifestyle during their holidays.
One of the chain’s priorities for its American hotels is the new Star Fit & Fun concept, an innovative wellness and sports programme, with the focus especially on Mexico and the Dominican Republic. In addition, the EMEA will see the launch of the new ‘unlimited service’ concept, taking the traditional all inclusive concept to new heights, and new features will also be included in the gastronomy offer at the chain’s 5 star hotels.
Furthermore, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts is continuing to search for new expansion opportunities in top international tourist destinations (such as Aruba or Los Cabos, in Mexico), as well as in major tourism capitals around the world in order to gradually consolidate its presence in the urban-holiday segment.
The company’s international expansion has always been accompanied by a firm commitment to the sustainable development of all its hotels. Proof of this are the awards received last year: 56 eco-certificates, including an impressive 25 ISO 14001 certificates received by our hotels on the islands of Majorca, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, as well as the mainland region of Andalusia; 24 Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) certificates, also awarded to our Spanish hotels; and 8 TripAdvisor GreenLeader awards.
As for the growth forecast for the GRUPO Iberostar travel division, end-of-year turnover for Almundo.com reached 375 million dollars in 2015, a rise of more than 115% over the previous year’s figure. The company intends to continue with its ambitious expansion plans in 2016.
In turn, 2015 turnover for NT Incoming exceeded 250 million euros thanks to its 15 holiday destinations in Spain and its activity as a tour operator and hotel beds bank. The company, which will this year be rebranded as W2M WORLD2MEET, will be focusing on extending its distribution capacity, consolidating current destinations and getting the company ready for geographical and organic growth through the integration of new companies.