Notas de Prensa de IBEROSTAR Hoteles & Resorts
GRUPO Iberostar REPORTS EARNINGS OF 1.847 BILLION EUROS IN 2015
GRUPO Iberostar ended 2015 with earnings of 1.847 billion euros, a 29% increase from the previous year. These results prove to be a boost for the group’s trending growth, strengthening its leading role at the forefront of the international tourism industry and its positive outlook for 2016, which is set to be a key year for the company.
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, the Group’s hotel division, characterised by a business philosophy based on customer commitment and outstanding service, has evolved positively both in EMEA and America. In 2015, the Group’s Spanish destinations outgrew other Mediterranean destinations. The Balearic Islands, Andalusia and the Canary Islands reported an excellent year in terms of occupancy and RevPAR, exceeding the rest of the region thanks to the strengthening of the Spanish market and the upward trajectory of traditional outbound markets such as Germany and the UK.
The US and Canadian outbound markets both showed significant growth, while the European markets remained stable in comparison to the previous year. Growth from Latin American markets remained healthy in the Group’s Mexican, Brazilian and Caribbean hotels.
In addition, 2015 saw the launch of the chain’s ambitious investment program, with a twofold objective: on one hand, several hotels were renovated and updated in order to align with guests’ changing needs and the company’s quality standards, and on the other hand, the openings of new hotels in different destinations, such as Madrid or Majorca.
In 2015, as a part of the company’s profit reinvestment policy, over 100 million euros were designated to the renovation of several of the Group’s hotels in Spain, Tunisia, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
GRUPO Iberostar has opted to follow a strong diversification strategy for its business portfolio within the international tourism sector. As part of this strategy, GRUPO Iberostar owns majority stake in Almundo.com, Argentina’s largest travel retail network, which boasts 20 years of experience and excellent standing in both the Mexican and Colombian markets. Today, Almundo.com is the largest network of physical travel agencies in Argentina with a total of 45 offices, and the second largest online network. Its online presence currently reaches 18 Latin American markets, with plans to evolve into the region’s leading multichannel travel agency.
Similarly, in late 2015 GRUPO Iberostar also acquired NT Incoming, a company with 12 offices in Spain that provide services for several of Europe’s leading tour operators. This operation also included the acquisition of New Travelers, a Spanish tour operator, which specializes in the sale of package tours to the United Arab Emirates, Thailand, Vietnam, Russia, and the US.
2016 EXPANSION PLANS AND PROJECTS
2016 will be a special year for GRUPO Iberostar, as its hotel division, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the opening of its first hotels on the island of Majorca, in 1986. Over the years, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts has seen continuous growth and today the company has a portfolio of over a hundred 4 and 5 star hotels and more than 33,000 rooms in 17 countries around the world.
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts anniversary celebrations will coincide with further progress in its expansion strategy and the addition of six new hotels to the brand’s portfolio:
• Iberostar Berkeley Shore, South Beach, Miami. This will be Iberostar’s first hotel in the USA. Situated in South Beach, one of Miami’s most charming areas, this hotel will offer 96 rooms in an exclusive Art Deco style building. The opening is set for Fall 2016.
• Iberostar Playa Pilar, Cayo Guillermo, Cuba. This newly-opened 5 star hotel in Guillermo Key offers 482 rooms and a full range of services, in keeping with the company’s Premium Gold category.
• Iberostar Bellavista, Varadero, Cuba. This five star hotel is located in Varadero, overlooking one of the world’s finest beaches. Its 827 rooms, extensive landscaped grounds, four swimming pools and wide range of entertainment options make it one of the area’s top holiday hotels.
• Iberostar Costa del Sol, Estepona, Marbella. Situated between Marbella and Estepona, just 10 kilometres from Puerto Banus, this hotel is scheduled to open in March 2016. The facilities include 265 rooms, an 800 m2 Wellness & Spa centre and a wide range of leisure and entertainment options, making this the perfect choice for a family holiday.
• Iberostar Santa Eulalia, Ibiza. Iberostar’s first hotel on this Balearic Island will be opening this Spring. Situated in S’Argamassa, this 4 star adults-only hotel is just 18 km from the city’s center.
• Iberostar Grand Portals Nous, Majorca. This new 5 star hotel is Majorca’s first in The Grand Collection and boasts a total of 63 rooms. Located in Portals Nous and set to open in July 2016, it features a number of suites designed by Marcel Wanders in addition to the most exclusive and luxurious services.
As part of Iberostar Hotels & Resorts commitment to quality and outstanding customer service, the company will be reinvesting part of its profits in the renovation and upgrading of its hotels, aligning with guests’ changing needs and the company’s quality standards. This investment, which will exceed 90 million euros in 2016, will be channelled into the following projects:
• Iberostar Playa de Palma, Majorca, Spain. Once renovation work is complete, this hotel, situated in Playa de Palma, will be reopening as the chain’s new 5 star establishment on the island. The project includes the complete renovation of its facilities and the renewal of the pool area, which will feature a new sun terrace and bar.
• Iberostar Andalucía Playa, Cadiz, Spain. Following renovation, this hotel, which overlooks La Barrosa Beach, will be upgraded to the 5 star category. The work will include the refurbishment of its 274 rooms and an array of new features in the communal areas, such as a new pool area with a sun terrace and Bali beds.
• Iberostar Royal Andalus, Cadiz, Spain. This hotel will be upgrading its rooms and extending the water park to include a new Splash Pad.
• Iberostar Lanzarote Park, Lanzarote, Spain. Renovation work at this hotel includes the complete refurbishment of all its rooms and the creation of two new area including an ‘adults-only’ area and an area for guests staying with their families, which will include a children’s water park. Once the work is complete, the hotel will be upgraded to 4 star status.
• Iberostar Playa Gaviotas Park. The renovation at this hotel covers 67 rooms, as well as the expansion of the Miniclub and water park.
• Iberostar Bouganville and Iberostar Las Dalias, Costa Adeje, Tenerife, Spain. These two hotels, situated on Costa Adeje in southern Tenerife, are currently undergoing extensive renovation work, affecting both the rooms and communal areas. New restaurant and leisure facilities will be created, bringing these hotels up to the chain’s quality standards.
• Iberostar Anthelia. Starting April 2016, this hotel will renovate two of its room blocks.
• Iberostar Cancún, Cancun, Mexico. This project includes the addition of a new block of 156 rooms, as well as a new reception area, swimming pool, sun terrace and pool bar.
• Iberostar Tucán-Quetzal, Playa del Carmen, Mexico. This project covers the complete renovation of more than 10.000 m2 and includes the creation of two new lobbies, two à la carte and two buffet-style restaurants, as well as a new theater.
This year Iberostar will be focusing on product and service innovation, as a part of its commitment to improving guests’ experience. Special attention will be focused on three of the company’s key areas: gastronomy, strengthening the culinary offerings at all properties; entertainment, revamping leisure activities for adults and children; and wellness, with its continued commitment to offering guests healthy lifestyle options during their vacation.
One of the chain’s priorities for its North American hotels focuses on the new Star Fit & Fun concept, an innovative wellness and sports program, especially in Mexico and the Dominican Republic. In addition, the EMEA will see the launch of the new ‘unlimited service’ concept, taking the traditional all inclusive concept to new heights. New features will also be included in the gastronomy offerings at the chain’s 5 star hotels.
In the effort to gradually strengthen its presence in the urban-holiday segment, Iberostar Hotels & Resorts continues to search for new expansion opportunities in top international tourist destinations (such as Aruba or Los Cabos, in Mexico), as well as in major tourism capitals around the world.
The company’s international expansion continues to be accompanied by a strong commitment to the sustainable development of all properties. Last year, the company received various awards that support this commitment including: 56 eco-certificates, including an impressive 25 ISO 14001 certificates received by the company’s hotels on the islands of Majorca, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, as well as the mainland region of Andalusia; 24 Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) certificates, also awarded to the company’s Spanish hotels; and 8 TripAdvisor GreenLeader awards.
In 2015, the GRUPO Iberostar travel division saw end of year results for Alumndo.com at 275 million euros, a rise of more than 115% from the previous year. The company intends to continue ambitious expansion plans in 2016.
The results for NT Incoming exceeded 250 million euros in 2015, thanks to its 15 destinations in Spain and its activity as a tour operator. The company, which will be rebranded this year as W2M WORLD2MEET, will continue to focus on extending its distribution capacity, strengthening current destinations and preparing the company ready for geographical and organic growth through the integration of new companies.