Events: Playa de Palma
Popular events and festivals in Playa de Palma are the best complement to a leisure or business trip to Palma de Mallorca. Throughout the year, they fill up a calendar with colours and traditions, opening a window to the customs and the character of the Majorcan capital. Saint John’s Eve, with bonfires all along the beach in Playa de Palma, and the Feast of El Carmen are among the most striking.
Major events in Playa de Palma
- 19-20 January – Feast of Saint Sebastian: Palma has its most important celebrations in January, with a full programme of activities, traditions and entertainment. Celebrations reach their peak on 19 and 20 January. On the evening of the 19th, there are concerts on almost every beach and BBQ cookouts, with people sharing dinner on the street. On the 20th, the striking correfoc de dimonis (life-run with demons) and fireworks in front of the Cathedral.
- February – Carnival in Palma: In Palma, there is carnival for children (Sa Rueta) and carnival for adults (Sa Rua). Both fill the downtown streets with colour, rhythm and laughter. Carnival is also a time of culinary traditions, an ideal time to savour the most genuine Majorcan flavours.
- 1 March – Day of the Balearic Islands: The greatest regional fiesta gains strength in the capital city: folk music shows, party, arts and crafts fair, local sports, children’s games, and a medieval market opening the door to old Majorca.
- April – Angel Sunday: The Bellver Castle is the setting of Pancaritat, a popular festival held after Easter. It includes a traditional uphill procession to the castle and a big picnic with family activities up there.
- 10 June – Corpus Christi: In this traditional religious feast, natural flower carpets cover the streets to welcome folk bands. Activities include a classical music festival.
- 23 June – Saint John’s Eve: This is one of the most popular festivals in Playa de Palma. On the evening of 23 June, the beaches are invaded by locals who burn bonfires in circles to scare off evil spirits. At midnight, many of the merrymakers take a swim in the warm water, while others throw a candle to the sea and make a wish. At some points there is music until dawn.
- July – Mallorca Pop: This open-air festival gathers Spanish and international pop artists and bands for one of the largest concerts held in Playa de Palma. Hundreds of people of all ages get together on the beach to see their favourite artists in a lively family atmosphere.
- July/August – Palma Flamenco Festival: Concerts, exhibitions and courses conducted by some of the leading flamenco artists are all part of this festival held in Palma in the second half of July or the first half of August. Some of the artists who have performed in Palma at the Flamenco Festival are Tomatito, Remedios Amaya and Diego Carrasco.
HOTELS IN PLAYA DE PALMA
Hotels in Playa de Palma
IBEROSTAR Bahía de Palma
From 33€ person/night (Taxes included)View more
From 34€ person/night (Taxes included)View more
IBEROSTAR Playa de Palma
From 51€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!View more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 6 stays for free (from 07/01/2016 to 11/02/2016). 2nd child aged 2 to 6 stays for free (from 07/01/2016 to 11/02/2016).