Local feasts and festivals Cadis
The local festivals in Cádiz are full of colour and joy. Marked by the ironic humour typical of this province in Southern Spain, Cádiz’s feasts and festivals are a good way to get to know the local people, their traditions and the deep essence of Andalusia in this beautiful area of Costa de la Luz.
Major events in Cádiz
- Carnival in Cádiz: Carnival in Cádiz enjoys international fame. Designated as a Fiesta of National Tourist Interest, it is a special time of year in Cádiz. The nice weather of this province in February invites visitors and locals to get to the streets, the beaches and the theatres. Chirigotas are Carnival second’s name, and La Viña, in Cádiz, their place of residence.
- Easter: As in other parts of Andalusia, Easter is rooted in religious devotion and passion in all the towns in the province. The official procession in the capital city goes through Plaza de la Candelaria, Montañés Street, Plaza del Palillero, Novena Street and Ancha Street. La Borriquita or La madrugá on Good Friday are two of the most interesting processions during Easter Week.
- Horse Fair in Jerez: This is one of the main events in the province. Since the Middle Ages, the Horse Fair has witnessed horse parades in the streets, marquees, locally produced wine and food, songs and dances until dawn for seven to nine days. It is held a week after the April Fair in Seville.
- Feast of El Carmen: Cádiz has a long coastline and the sea is a source of wealth, which is the reason why the Virgin of El Carmen is worshipped in all the coastal towns of the province. Every 16th of July, statues of Our Lady of El Carmen are carried on unforgettable processions at sea.
- Sanlúcar horseraces: In the second half of August, Sanlúcar de Barrameda holds one of the most famous and singular events in Cádiz: a racehorse on the beach. A show filled with light, colour and energy.
- Grape harvest festival: A land of vineyards, Cádiz is the province in Andalusia with the largest area covered with vines: 11,000ha producing outstanding wines – fino, manzanilla, oloroso, amontillado, palo cortado and the well-known Pedro Ximénez. The festival takes place in September, and the most attractive celebrations are to be found in Jerez.
HOTELS IN CADIS
Hotels in Cadis
IBEROSTAR Andalucía Playa
From 37€ person/night (Taxes included)view more
IBEROSTAR Royal Andalus
From 28€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!view more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 6 stays for free (from 1/12/2015 to 3/26/2015).