Doing sports in Varadero is a good way of enjoying yourself and the good weather, and soaking up the atmosphere of Hicacos and Matanzas. You can go surfing, diving, sailing or hiking with your family, play golf or tennis, or ride a horse by the Caribbean Sea. There are a zillion possibilities for sports lovers in Varadero; imagination is the only limit.
Sports in Varadero
- Golf in the heart of the Caribbean: Golf’s growing popularity in Varadero has resulted in more visitors coming to this resort in Cuba. Varadero Golf Club is a fine example of golf infrastructure development in the country: designed by Les Furber, it is a coastal 3.5km-long, 18-hole par-72 golf course on the Hicacos peninsula. Housed in the spectacular Mansión Xanadú, this golf club offers the perfect mix of top-notch Cuban food, music and charm.
- Diving in Varadero: With a coastline that is 22km long, Varadero is one of the world’s top diving places. It has as many as 23 different spots drawing hundreds of divers every year, with hidden Caribbean treasures like coral reefs, underwater caves and surprising nooks and crannies.
- Equestrian sports on Hicacos peninsula: There are many horse riding clubs and horse riding tour operators in Varadero, offering an interesting option for a family holiday. Guided tours will help beginners reach the most important sights in the area.
- Hiking in Matanzas: Matanzas is one of the Cuban provinces with the richest natural heritages. It has well-kept leafy areas in the north of Cuba attracting thousands of hikers, and trails with different levels of difficulty taking you to wonderful places off the beaten path.
- Sailing in Marina Gaviota: At the far end of the Hicacos peninsula, this top-rate marina offers sailboats or catamarans for rent, for a nice ride in the calm waters of the Caribbean Sea. It is considered as the best yacht club in Varadero, with an exclusive atmosphere and a luxury restaurant specialising in lobster dishes.