Trinidad offers lots of experiences to explore the essence of Cuba and the mixture of Spanish, African and Creole traditions in one of the world’s most beautiful colonial cities. Taking a simple stroll down the narrow streets, having breakfast in one of little squares scattered in town, lying in the sun by the sea on the peninsula of Ancón or watching the sun go down from the ruins of the Shrine of La Candelaria are just a few of the thousand and one things to do in Trinidad, a city filled with charm.
Experiences in Trinidad: What to do
- Sipping a cocktail in La Canchánchara: Besides being a relaxing experience, this historic bar with a high architectural value is filled with Cuban tradition and charm. Come and listen to the notes of a bolero and smell the traditional drink, canchánchara, a cocktail made with sugar cane eau-de-vie, lemon and honey.
- Attending a concert at Casa de la Trova in Trinidad: One of the most traditional folk music centres in Trinidad, Casa de la Trova is a 1770 building, renovated and converted to a meeting point for local youngsters.
- Watching the sunset from the Shrine of La Candelaria: An ideal programme for those enjoying a nice walk, this experience affords the most beautiful sunset views in town. Towering over the village, the shrine affords breath-taking panoramic views of the old town.
- Visiting the Manaca-Iznaga Tower: Trinidad is a feast for the senses, a place to explore to the slow rhythm of Cuban son, letting each new natural setting surprise you. A nice tour is the walk to the Manaca-Iznaga Tower, where you can get spectacular views of Valle de los Ingenios, the valley where the town sits.
- Eating lobster and drinking mojitos in Trinidad: The local cuisine in Trinidad is an explosion of tropical flavours combined with traditional Spanish recipes and ingredients. The mix has resulted in a menu of essential, traditional dishes. The Caribbean Sea produces top-quality fresh fish, and many restaurants in the area know how to take advantage of this. Villalba is one of them – a small, family-run restaurant serving homemade food in a quiet atmosphere with live music.