Activities Sunny Beach
There are many activities to do in Sunny Beach, leading visitors to explore the history of ancient civilisations, the beauty of nature, the art of the Black Sea and the folk traditions on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria. Nessebar, for instance, boasts an amazing historical heritage and graceful streets facing the sea, while St Vlas is peppered with the ruins of old monasteries.
What to do and what to see in Sunny Beach
- City walls in Nessebar: The old town of Nessebar, perched on a peninsula that extends into the Black Sea, welcomes visitors with the majestic city walls build by the Thracians in the eighth century BC. The fortification changed with time, incorporating Greek, Roman and Byzantine traces. The ruins can still be enjoyed today.
- Hagia Sophia Church in Nessabar: In the old town of Nessebar, Hagia Sophia Church is one of the many temples that can be visited in the area, included in UNESCO’s World Heritage List thanks to architectural gems like this one. Hagia Sophia is a basilica with a nave and two aisles built in the fifth and sixth centuries. Only part of it has come down to us.
- Monasteries in St Vlas: The charming village of St Vlas, sitting by the Black Sea, at the foot of the Balkan Mountains (Stara Planina) used to have as many as five monasteries, dedicated to Saint Peter, Saint Andrew, Saint Anne, Saint Elijah and Saint Blaise, who lent his name to the village. All of them were torn down, but a stroll around the village affords glimpses of their ruins – and their spirit.
- Archaeological Museum in Nessebar: Housed in the beautiful Church of Saint John the Baptist, Old Nessebar, 3km from Sunny Beach, this museum takes visitors through history from the days of the Thracians, when the village was called ‘Mesembria’, to the time of the Byzantine Empire. There is a special room for icons, one of Bulgaria’s distinguishing pictorial arts.
- Byzantine Bath Complex in Nessebar: Although now we can only see the ruins, Old Nessebar used to house the earliest baths in Bulgaria, built in the sixth century and later rehabilitated for residential purposes. The ruins are well-preserved and protected.
- Ethnographic Museum in Nessebar: This ethnographic exhibition is set up in the Moskoyani House, one of the most interesting Renaissance monuments on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria and a typical example of residential architecture. The exhibition shows traditional tools and scenes from everyday life in the area. The gem is the collection of folk costumes.
HOTELS IN SUNNY BEACH
Hotels in Sunny Beach
IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach Resort
From 42€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!view more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 11 stays for free (from 5/ 1/2015 to 10/15/2015).