Events Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Santa Cruz has events and popular festivals scheduled for almost every week of the year. The major celebrations in Santa Cruz take place in February for Carnival – the second most important in the entire world, after Brazil’s. Then there are opera and classical music seasons, theatre plays, rock concerts and cultural events from around the world. The traditional and the new live hand in hand in Santa Cruz.
Main events in Santa Cruz
- January/February – Canary Islands Music Festival: The festival takes place simultaneously in various venues in Gran Canaria and Tenerife. The event is targeted mainly at tourists interested in highbrow culture coming to Santa Cruz, and intends to bring classical music celebrities closer to audiences on the Canary Islands.
- February – Carnival in Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Salsa, batucadas, street groups, queens wearing costumes that shine with sequins and bright colours. In Santa Cruz, Carnival celebrations are as famous as those in Rio de Janeiro, making the big fiestas of the capital of Tenerife. They last for weeks and include festive acts like the Carnival Queen pageant or the heartfelt burial of the sardine.
- May – May Festival: On the night before 3 May, the wizards’ balls are held, a peculiar ritual where guests wear wizard costumes from the Canaries and organise a big outdoor meal beneath the stars. Each guest brings a traditional local dish. On the following Sunday there is a parade with traditional carriages that travel around town honouring the Holy Cross, their local protector.
- June – Santa Blues Festival: It is a relatively young festival established in 2005, especially interesting for blues lovers. The concerts take place throughout the month of June on Thursday, Friday and Saturday on several stages at the same time. International artists are invited to perform every year.
- July – Mestizo Music Festival, MUMES: MUMES is an eclectic ten-year-old festival filled with rhythm and culture. It is a major event in the summer in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, held in mid-July at the Guimerá Theatre.
- 25 July – Feast of Saint James: July 25 is dedicated to the patron saint of Santa Cruz, Saint James the Greater. Amongst the main events are the traditional Mass in the Church of La Concepción and the procession with participants carrying an image of Saint James. Also there is the re-enactment of the events following the battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, an assault by British Admiral Horatio Nelson, who was defeated and withdrew under a truce on 25 July 1797.
- September – Tenerife Opera Festival: This remarkable festival puts on classical operas for all and sundry. Verdi’s La Traviata or Mozart’s The Magic Flute arranged for families are usually performed in this festival in Tenerife.
HOTELS IN SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE
Hotels in Santa Cruz de Tenerife
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Mencey
From 43€ person/night (Taxes included)view more