Hotels in Malaga
History of Málaga and curious facts:
- Origin of Costa del Sol: The Costa del Sol was named as such by a consul of Austria living in Cádiz. He used to travel by road from the coast to Almería and liked the fine weather on the coastal area of Málaga.
- The first industrial city in Spain: The province of Málaga was a modern region in the Iberian Peninsula during the Industrial Revolution, especially in the foundry industry. With dozens of establishments, Málaga became the first industrial city in Spain.
- The province and film: Málaga is known for its culture and its connection with film. Every year, it holds an International Film Festival, gathering directors and actors from all over the world. Besides, Antonio Banderas was born in Málaga.
- Marbella Club: This prestigious club was established by Alfonso de Hohenlohe in 1954 turned Marbella into the most exclusive meeting point in Europe. It welcomed European celebrities like film stars and aristocrats.
- Inauguration of Puerto Banús: It was a world-class event attended by great figures like Rainier Prince of Monaco and Princess Grace, actors Tony Curtis and Sean Connery, Onassis, young Julio Iglesias, singers Maria Callas and Liza Minelli and, of course, Lola Flores.
- Picasso’s birthplace: Internationally renowned artist Pablo Picasso is present virtually everywhere in the province. He lived in Málaga until he was 10 years old. There is a museum dedicated to Picasso in Buena Vista Palace, Málaga City, whose purpose is to preserve his artistic legacy.