In Mahdia, visitors will enjoy experiences that enable them soak up the charm of this Tunisian village. Some of the memorable things to do in Mahdia are drinking tea in a tea house in the medina, sitting on the sands to stare at the fishing boats catching sardine, watching people in busy Place du Caire or riding a horse across town.
Experiences in Mahdia: What to do
- Place du Caire: This busy square is the heart of Mahdia’s medina, where locals and out-of-towners share a cup of tea al fresco while the kids play, sit to watch people coming and going, visit art galleries or buy souvenirs.
- Trip to Kairouan: This small village was the former capital of Mahdia and is considered a holy city, which means many Muslims come to Kairouan every year. A trip to Kairouan can be a good idea for those who want to know more about Islam, Islamic fervour and centuries-old traditions.
- Sardine catching: Every day in the afternoon, from the port of Mahdia you can watch small fishing trawlers at sea with their lights on, ready to catch sardine. Mahdia is the only place where you will see this picturesque fishing technique. The lights flickering against the backdrop of the Mediterranean Sea make a unique picture when the sun goes down.
- Horseback ride on the beach: Riding a horse on Mahdia beach in the afternoon is one of the most popular experiences in this part of Tunisia. Around the beach you will find several spots that organise horseback rides for the whole family. There are rides across the city and the suburbs too.
- A bargain in the souk: If you come to Mahdia, you cannot miss the souk. Always crowded and selling amazing stuff, beautiful handcrafts, aromatic spices and freshly prepared food, it will not disappoint you. Even if Mahdia’s souk is not the largest on this coastal area, it is worth a visit.
- Tea in Mahdia’s medina: Right on the headland stands a nice café from which you will be able to admire the wonderful sunset while having an aromatic mint tea with typical nibbles. In this part of Tunisia, sugary Arab sweets are delicious.
HOTELS IN MAHDIA
Hotels in Mahdia
IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour & Thalasso
From 65€ person/night (Taxes included)view more