Natural areas Lanzarote
The island of Lanzarote is a display of natural beauty you will not find anywhere else in the Canaries. Huge areas of volcanic soils, craters and hard lava live together with crop fields. More than 40% of the island is protected and, in fact, Lanzarote as a whole has been designated a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.
Nature in Lanzarote:
- Timanfaya National Park: Timanfaya is the best-known natural area in Lanzarote, between Yaiza to the south and Tinajo on the west coast. With 50km², the park covers a good area of the south-western part of the island, where the volcanic landscapes are fantastic. There are as many as 25 volcanoes in the park, Montañas del Fuego (Fire Mountains) among them.
- Los Ajaches: Los Ajaches is one of the most important natural areas in Yaiza, south Lanzarote. It is a huge volcanic massif spanning over 3,000ha that offers a spectacular landscape of contrasts and signposted hiking trails.
- Naturists’ cave: This is an outstanding cave in Lanzarote, between Tías and Tinajo, in the protected natural area of La Geria. It has volcanic origin and forms a huge underground passage with galleries and chambers of great beauty. It covers 2.1ha.
- Los Hervideros: It has a wonderful rugged coast with impressive cliffs in reddish and purple volcanic rock worn away by the sea in the area of Janubio. There are underwater caves that offer a nice show to scuba divers.
- Saline marshes in Janubio: Close to Los Hervideros, in Janubio Nature Park, there are the beautiful saline marshes, covering nearly 500,000m². The central element is a big highly concentrated salt lake, whose salt is used in cooking.
- Charco Verde: Also known as Charco de los Clicos, it is a lagoon by the charming coastal town of El Golfo. While still in Lanzarote, it is out of this world. A natural lake on a big black sand beach in the middle of a crater up a volcanic mountain. The lake is fed by seawater and gets its green colour from algae.
HOTELS IN LANZAROTE
Hotels in Lanzarote
IBEROSTAR La Bocayna Village
From 70€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!view more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 7 stays for free (from 1/ 1/2015 to 6/30/2015). 2nd child aged 2 to 7 stays for free (from 1/ 1/2015 to 6/30/2015).
IBEROSTAR Lanzarote Park
From 36€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!view more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 7 stays for free (from 1/ 1/2015 to 4/30/2016). 2nd child aged 2 to 7 stays for free (from 1/ 1/2015 to 4/30/2016).