Local feasts: Lanzarote
Lanzarote has feasts all year round, but it is in the summer that the most important and traditional ones take place. In June and September, Lanzarote commemorates its patron saints in Haría or Yaiza, with the procession of Los Remedios. Local fiestas are the perfect time to get to know the character and culture of the island people.
Major events in Lanzarote
- La Candelaria: It is held in February in Tías and is the oldest fiesta, since it dates to the years following the Reconquista. They eat fried pork with gofio and traditional cheese, and watch Canary wrestling tournaments, regional dance shows and other folk traditions.
- Carnival in Lanzarote: Carnival is the main festival in the Canaries, especially in Lanzarote, although in Tenerife or Gran Canaria celebrations are somewhat brighter. In Arrecife, it gathers big crowds and ends with the Burial of the Sardine and a fireworks show.
- Feast of San Antonio: Tías gets all dressed up on 13 June to honour Saint Anthony. Music, processions and activities for kids and adults abound during this feast day. In Lanzarote they believe it is the perfect day to find someone to marry, since Saint Anthony is the matchmaker saint.
- Feast of El Carmen: The Virgin of El Carmen is the Patroness of the coast of Teguise, a village where Her feast is held annually on 16 July. Processions at sea are the main activity, and the most picturesque too, as a great number of boats decorated with colourful flowers sail down the coast. Thousands of enthusiastic visitors come to Teguise every year to attend this feast in July.
- San Bartolomé Festival: On 24 August, San Bartolomé, a town situated in the centre of the island of Lanzarote, celebrates the feast honouring its patron saint. This folk festival is perfect to learn about the history and culture of Lanzarote.
- Saint Ginés in Arrecife: The major feasts in the capital of Lanzarote last two weeks but the real feast day is 25 August. Traditional dance, meals, processions and parties follow right after the other non-stop, attracting huge crowds. The area of El Reducto beach becomes a great leisure and fun venue.
- Virgin of Los Remedios Feast: On 8 September every year, Yaiza honours its Patroness with a charming procession filled with symbols. Sports, theatre plays, exhibitions, traditional dance... Activities for the whole week ending with a big water festival and a traditional cookout.
HOTELS IN LANZAROTE
Hotels in Lanzarote
IBEROSTAR La Bocayna Village
From 51€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!View more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 6 stays for free (from 11/11/2015 to 12/31/2015). 2nd child aged 2 to 6 stays for free (from 11/11/2015 to 12/31/2015).
IBEROSTAR Lanzarote Park
From 62€ person/night (Taxes included)View more