Natural areas: Fuerteventura
The island of Fuerteventura was declared a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 2009. With 24 volcanoes, it makes a great setting for an active travel holiday. It is sometimes referred to as the ‘flat island’, its terrain being less rugged than others on the Canaries.
Nature in Fuerteventura:
- Jandía Nature Park: This park is in the highest part of Fuerteventura, in the south, in the Peninsula of Jandía, also housing the island’s highest peak: Pico de la Zarza (800m). Besides strikingly contrasting plants and native animal species, the park features several trails leading to wonderful beaches.
- Fuerteventura’s volcanoes: Fuerteventura is an island of volcanic origin; proof of this are the 24 volcanoes that can be found across its territory. The most spectacular ones are Tindaya, Bayuyo, Malpaís Grande and Malpaís Chico.
- Betancuria massif: Right in the centre of the island, where it becomes narrower, there is Betancuria Rural Park – the largest natural area on Fuerteventura. The views from the highest peak, La Atalaya (760m) are just amazing.
- Corralejo dunes: This heavenly nature park is world-famous for its long white-sand beaches. Located in the north of Fuerteventura, covering 2,500ha, it is the largest dune area in the Canary Islands. The shiny sand has its origin in marine mollusc shells.
- Isla de Lobos Nature Park: Just facing the coast of Corralejo, in the municipality of La Oliva, there is one of the main attractions on the northern coast of Fuerteventura. This unspoilt island can only be accessed by boat. You cannot spend the night here, but you can take a stroll down the quiet trails before going back.
HOTELS IN FUERTEVENTURA
Hotels in Fuerteventura
IBEROSTAR Fuerteventura Palace
From 73€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!View more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 7 stays for free (from 01/01/2015 to 04/30/2017).
IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas
From 111€ person/night (Taxes included)Kids free!View more
At Iberostar we care about the little ones. Enjoy your stay and bring your kids along for free: 1st child aged 2 to 7 stays for free (from 01/01/2015 to 12/31/2015).
IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas Park
From 86€ person/night (Taxes included)View more