The experiences you can enjoy in Djerba combine the right dose of emotion, tradition and fun required to spend a great holiday on the Tunisian coast. Visitors can see the Tunisian locations where Star Wars was shot, go window-shopping in Houmt Souk, get a boat trip to Flamingo Island, etc. Being a luxury island holiday destination, Djerba offers a multiplicity of things to do and places to discover.
Experiences in Djerba: What to do
- Boat trip to Flamingo Island: Get on a period ship at the port of Houmt Souk and set sail towards Flamingo Island, where pink flamingos come to winter. The island boasts a spectacular wild area, Ras Rmel, with docks, flour-like white sand and a beautiful lagoon.
- Shopping in Houmt Souk: The capital of the island invites visitors to walk the narrow streets and get into the shops to buy authentic take-homes from Djerba. A nice shopping area is the qaysariya, with stalls with nice jewels and silver items on display.
- Tea houses on Habib Burguiba Avenue: Choosing one of the many traditional tea spots and sipping an exquisite green tea is an experience not to be missed in Djerba. Tea houses with outdoor tables are popular with locals for 5-o’clock tea.
- Tour of Tataouine: This exotic region in Djerba was the location chosen by filmmaker George Lucas to shoot the desert scenes in the first Star Wars movie. Visitors can travel to the home planet of Anakin Skywalker, Tatooine.
- Eating out in the port of Djerba: Spicy and truly exotic, the food from Djerba can be sampled in the port of the capital. Djerba-style couscous and same-day caught fish are some of the dishes offered in the restaurants that line the port.
- A walk through Borj El Kébir: The big fortress (this is what the name means) of the capital is one of the best spots to watch the sun going down in the city of Houmt Souk. Come with your family and walk along the incredible walls, find the catacombs and enjoy the views of the port and you will have a great experience.
HOTELS IN DJERBA
Hotels in Djerba
IBEROSTAR Mehari Djerba
From 42€ person/night (Taxes included)view more