Hotels in Djerba
The activities in Djerba are suitable for people of all ages and act as a complement to the fabulous beaches of the island, showing the best of Djerba’s arts and culture. The town has nice museums and wonderful mosques, old villages like Tataouine or Jewish settlements... There are one thousand sights in Djerba that reveal the interesting culture of the people of this Tunisian island.
What to do and what to see in Djerba
- El Ghriba Synagogue: This ancient synagogue is one of the prettiest on the island and is among the oldest Jewish temples in the world. It is situated in the Jewish village of Hara Seghira and appears as a bright white space in contrast with its blue windows and doors. The synagogue is the destination of an annual pilgrimage of Tunisian and European Jews.
- Traditional Heritage Museum of Djerba: This important museum in Djerba exhibits items from the island’s historic and cultural heritage. Also, it displays works of art from Tunisia and owns an important collection of items that highlight the island’s heritage.
- Menzels: A menzel is a traditional rural estate of the island, actually the centre of the island population’s life. Each menzel consists of a low adobe house painted in white, a nice market garden enclosed with a hedge and a well. A total 5,000 or more menzels stand across the island.
- Mosque of Sidi Brahim: Situated in the heart of Houmt Souk, this mosque is a symbol of Djerba’s religious art and culture. Built in the eighteenth century, this mosque has a simple, austere design. Djerba boastas as many as 200 mosques.
- Tataouine: In Marmata, in the heart of Tataouine, stand the peculiar troglodyte belowground cave dwellings. The ancient settlement’s name became famous when the director of Star Wars shot scenes in Tunisia and named the main character’s home planet Tatooine.
- Guellala Museum: It is an interesting museum in Djerba with information on festivals, traditions, typical costumes, legends, etc. The exhibits are displayed on the four rooms of this centre, the most popular with Tunisians.
- Djerba Explore Park: This is an amusement park that extends over 12ha on the island. Designed to be a replica desert village it has other attractions too, like a crocodile farm, and gives an idea of the art, crafts and traditions of Djerba’s inhabitants
HOTELS IN DJERBA
Hotels in Djerba
IBEROSTAR Mehari Djerba
From 63€ person/night (Taxes included)view more