Crete has a thousand and one things to do, hundreds of unforgettable experiences in its lovely coastal towns and villages. Riding a donkey, gazing at the sun going down in Crete on the sand of a wild beach, exploring underwater caves in Agia Galini, going on a tour to Lake Kournas or tasting the delicious Greek moussaka in a tavern... Crete has a wealth of tempting experiences for couples and families to enjoy.
Experiences in Crete: What to do
- Eating out in Cretan taverns: When the sun goes down, locals go out for a glass of wine or native liquor like raki or ouzo in a traditional tavern, while listening to traditional music. Foods you should taste before leaving Crete are moussaka, dishes with feta cheese, and tomatoes, at the core of Cretan cuisine.
- Boat trip to Gavdos and Chrissi Islands: Take a ferry in Crete to get to these small, uncrowded islands off the coast of Crete. Peace and crystal-clear waters guaranteed.
- Camping in Elafonisos: Elafonisos is a small islet connected to Crete by a coral reef you can walk on. The unspoilt beach is great to spend a delightful day in the sun. Camping is allowed.
- Sunset in Triopetra: Triopetra beach is best known for its lovely sunset. This beach in Crete adjoining Agia Galini and a pebble’s throw from Messara Bay affords views of the Mediterranean Sea. Lie back on the fine sand, far from the madding crowd, and take in the beautiful red and orange colours on display in the horizon.
- Tour to Lake Kournas: Protected by Crete’s White Mountains, Lake Kournas is the only freshwater lake on the island. An ideal place for a day out with your family, it invites you to ride a pedalo in its turquoise waters, eat out in a traditional restaurant, walk along the shore and enjoy nature.