Experiences Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco delivers experiences that go beyond Caribbean sun and sand. The island embodies the Cuban essence: horseback rides, Cuban food by the shore of a natural lake, a crocodile farm, a day trip to downtown Morón, Caribbean sunset on a boat… Tons of irresistible plans on Cayo Coco for an unforgettable holiday in Jardines del Rey.
Experiences on Cayo Coco: What to do
- Day trip to Morón: Morón is the closest city to the tourist resort on Cayo Coco. It is a quiet workers’ residential area. Children play on the streets, filled with colour and with the warmth of the Cuban people. Strolling down the streets, having a meal at a traditional restaurant and getting lost in the crowd form part of a must-have experience.
- Boat ride in La Redonda lake: Get rocked by the waters in this beautiful lake next to Cayo Coco. A beautiful family experience. Boat rental is available in the area, and you can have a picnic afterwards, sharing the environment with a multitude of colourful fish and birds.
- Horseback ride on Flamenco beach: A horseback ride on Flamenco beach is one of the unforgettable experiences you can have on Cayo Coco. The best time of day is the evening, when the sun goes down and dresses the landscape in reddish and ochre hues. The calm waters, the sea breeze and the trotting horses contribute to create the perfect atmosphere for an endearing experience.
- Cuban meal by Laguna de la Leche: This spectacular natural lake on Turiguanó island offers lots of bars and traditional restaurants serving scrumptious local food. Rice and black beans, ajiaco soup, roast suckling pig, ropa vieja (shredded steak in tomato sauce), plus tropical cocktails like mojito or daiquiri as you soak up the magic landscape around you.
- Sunset on Cayo Guillermo: One of the most stunning Caribbean sunsets is within reach, on Cayo Guillermo. Here you can climb one of the high dunes and watch the sun go down in a sky tinted in multiple hues. Coastal cruises with dinner can be hired to sail down the Cuban keys at sunset too.
- Visit to a crocodile farm: One of the most entertaining experiences on Cayo Coco, especially if you are coming with kids, is visiting the crocodile farm 5km away from the city of Morón. Specimens of different sizes live on this farm.
- Trip to La Trocha: A must for all visitors to the Cuban keys, the trip to La Trocha (a defensive fortress) is a historic military route that history buffs are bound to love. La Trocha is one of Cuba’s best-known icons.