Events Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco’s popular feasts and festive events embody the curious and cheerful Cuban spirit: colours, music, theatre, literature, sports… There are so many options throughout the year that tourists can choose the ones that best suit their interests. Highlights include the Water Carnival in Morón and the Jardines del Rey Jazz Festival.
Major events in Cayo Coco
- April – Piña Colada Festival: A major festival in Ciego de Ávila, this event is held in several venues across the city, with all kinds of art activities targeting the young in particular. There are parades, theatre plays, literary gatherings, dance performances, etc. To these we should add the most interesting fusion music festival in the area, drawing fans and visitors from all over Jardines del Rey and Cayo Coco.
- June – International Jazz Festival: One of the world’s leading Latin jazz events is held every year in June in Jardines del Rey, gathering the finest Cuban and international representatives of this music style that is so well-grounded in Cuba.
- First half of June – Morón Festival: In June, Morón holds a real Cuban party, whose main ingredients are colour, rhythm, flavour and laughter. This warm city close to Cayo Coco offers lots of activities for visitors of all ages and the best Cuban music during its town festival.
- July – Theatre without Borders National Festival: Theatre is one of the main summer activities in Ciego de Ávila, especially during the Theatre without Borders Festival, putting on classics, unpublished plays and puppet shows for children that adults will enjoy as well.
- September – Water Carnival in Morón: Held every year since the 1950s around Laguna de La Leche, this is one of the most popular traditional events in Cuba. Today it draws hundreds of people from all over the country, ready to enjoy themselves. About a dozen floats parade by the natural lake to the sound of Cuban music.
- October – Jardines del Rey Fishing Tournament: Also known as ‘Jardines del Rey Big Game Trolling’, this fishing tournament has been held on Cayo Guillermo for several years now. Big fish of a variety of species draw high numbers of participants and onlookers. Everyone meets at the port to see the big catches.
- November – Flower Carnival: This feast has been held in Ciego de Ávila for 200 years now. It is a striking, deeply-rooted popular event, filling the streets with folk art and music, non-stop rhythms and roaring laughter.