As any other world major capital, Budapest has top-notch facilities to do all kinds of sports: tennis, squash, golf, bowling, cycle touring… In addition, the city’s beautiful green areas invite an early run as the sun rises over the city. One of the best places for sports lovers in Budapest is Margaret Island, in the middle of the Danube.
Sports in Budapest
- Running in Budapest: Running is one of the most popular sports activities in Budapest, where there are several clearly signposted, well-prepared routes. Two of them are of particular interest: the path skirting Margaret Island, where you can go jogging right in the Danube, and the path going up Buda Castle Hill, rewarding runners with breathtaking views of the city at the top.
- Swimming on Margaret Island: This island in the middle of the Danube has one of the finest swimming pools in Budapest. In fact, it is one of the few pools that is open also at weekends, which means it attracts lots of locals.
- Playing tennis in Budapest: Budapest dwellers are really fond of tennis. There are about a dozen clubs and all kinds of courts all over the city. Some of the clubs offer lessons for beginners, and most of them require players to bring their own racquets.
- Playing golf in Hungary: Elegant and sophisticated like Budapest itself, golf has become increasingly popular. Today, Hungary has fully-equipped golf courses to play in; some of the best are just 30min from Budapest.
- Hiking around Budapest: There are more than 100 hiking trails on the outskirts of Budapest. Many of them are apt for family walks, enabling hikers to take in the leafy landscapes surrounding the Hungarian capital.
- Cycle touring in Budapest: Bicycles are one of the most widely used means of transport in Budapest. There are many safe cycling areas and bike lanes in the city, and a ride along the banks of the Danube can be a magnificent experience. In fact, many riders follow the river from Vienna to come to the capital of Hungary.
HOTELS IN BUDAPEST
Hotels in Budapest
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Budapest
From 121€ room/night (Taxes included)view more