Sports in Boavista are closely linked to the island’s fabulous sandy beaches with low waves and the desert landscapes as well. Windsurfing is very popular on the beaches, together with scuba diving, horse riding and quad biking. Many hiking routes crisscross the area to take you across wonderful nature reserves with volcanic landscapes.
Sports in Boavista
- Sailing in Sal Rei: The capital of Boavista has a deeply-rooted sailing tradition. In fact, on the island’s day, a sailing regatta is held that gathers numerous sailboats. Tourists can rent a sailboat to sail across the waters of the Atlantic Ocean while soaking in the marvellous landscape.
- Hiking in Boavista: Boavista offers a full network of hiking trails for people of all ages, from the gentle stroll that leads to the oasis in Viana Desert to a walk through wild mountain scenery to the top of Mount Estância. The nature reserves in Tartaruga, Ponta do Sol and Morro de Areia, and nature parks such as Boa Esperança or Norte are also perfect for walking with your partner or your family.
- Windsurfing on Praia da Chave: Chave beach and Estoril bay to the north are two great sports locations, as the winds and sea currents attract windsurfers and kite surfers. Windsurfers in Boavista have a UCPA centre, and there are numerous companies that plan surf safaris that last for a few days.
- Scuba diving in Costa da Boa Esperança: The sea currents and winds that frame the beaches along the coastline have sunk all kinds of ships off Costa da Boa Esperança for centuries. The most famous shipwrecks are Denmark’s Atalanta and Spain’s Cabo Santa Maria, remains of which can still be seen. Scuba diving on this coast in Boavista can be a wonderful underwater experience, for there are wrecks and coral reefs where scuba divers can discover a uniquely diverse mix of marine life.
- Kayaking in Boavista: Praia da Chave, Sal Rei and the eastern coast of Boavista are framed by the Atlantic Ocean, in whose calm waters you can go on kayak tours. Kayaks are safe and easy to handle, which makes them popular with holidaymakers travelling with kids. The tours take you to wonderful spots, some of which can only be reached by sea.
HOTELS IN BOAVISTA
Hotels in Boavista
IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista
From 86€ person/night (Taxes included)View more